Saturday, September 16, 2006

Vision

As I sit here in my backyard porch swing, Benson and Hedges Menthol Light 100 in my hand, "Honey, go back to bed, Mommy's busy", I ponder my vision for my blog...

My vision for this blog is to create a public space that is a constant work of progress. A space where I have permission to explore ideas and thoughts without having to hand in a "final draft". A space where I can take advantage of the ambiguity the internet offers, and safely explore unfamiliar territory. As a Feminist, I am inclined to immediately reject the idea of working within the system. Through participating in a blog community, I hope to see the power of finding points of resistance within the system of the internet and discover the impact that this type of Feminist collective action can have. Jacqueline Rhodes in "Substantive and Feminist Girlie Action":Women Online speaks of "writing within the discourses that shape us". I can see the most potential for a powerful impact within a blog community that is understanding, sharing, and most importantly safe for it's users to express her/himself.

My blog is feminist because it refuses to define itself. Will you know that just by looking at it? Probably not. Anyone can look at my page and deem it feminist or any other label or not at all. But I'm the one behind the computer and I'm alot more than just what I'm writing. At times my blogs will do me justice and at times they won't but I have a vision for my blog and I will write it as I see fit goddamnit!


LOLZ LMAOZ LOLERZ OMGZ BRBZ LILORSROLSZZZZZ,

Jordan

1 comment:

-D- said...

I can definitely relate to exploring "unfamiliar territory" in this new kind of learning environment. Being able to appropriate this kind of technology under the feminist cause is exciting. I also agree with you that this blog is not able to define any of us in certain or specific terms, but that it allows us to explore the various identifying lines that have been drawn by femininists and anti-feminists in an open and honest way.

I also despise the "final draft" 9 times out of ten, so this kind of education is new and fun (that sounds way too much like a commercial), as well as (I expect) practical and extremely relevant: In term papers you are supposed to be having a "conversation" with someone who doesn't exist, while here it's REAL PEOPLE. Since I like real people, as it seems you do too, I did enjoy reading your entry. I especially liked when you mentioned that the labels that may or may not be placed onto it (and everyone else's for that matter), are arbitrary because it is a learning tool that is meant to challenge and learn from itself.

Great entry,