
Althusser states that ideology has a material existence. That is that ideology cannot exist without the everyday practices dictated by the ideological state apparatus. Althusser also believes that existing dominant ideological state apparatuses can only be diminished if replaced with a new dominant ISA. For example, the education ISA is now what the church ISA was previous to the class struggles between the proletariet and bourgeois. Referencing Kipinis now, and her idea of the cracks and fissures that can be found in dominant ideology, I believe that our Feministeppin performances represent the materialization of our beliefs. And that practicing real material acts found under dominant ideology then reappropriating them under a Feminist ideology is the most productive and hopefully least provisional way to destroy and replace the current dominant ISA's.
Then again, theres that concern that what we now consider radical, subversive, and even underground will just be taken over and perverted by dominant ideology. Or what if our now radical beliefs become dominant ideology. Foucault states that power produces it's own resistance. Our Feministeppin performances were resisting the power of dominant ideology, but what happens if it becomes the dominant ideology we all love to hate? What type of groups will resist us? Sometimes I feel I rebell just for the sake of rebelling, just for the sake of going against the grain. If the beliefs we now see as being radical were actually a dominant ideology would we belive and participate in the dominant ideology, or would we find ourselves stickin with the minorities and fighting against the dominant discourse?
PS please let me know if there are any study groups happenin!
4 comments:
Perhaps (probably)I am one of those irritating, 'Things would just be so much better if they were my way!' kind of gals, but I feel that if a (MY) feminist ideology became the dominant ISA that 'society' would by no means be perfect, but greatly improved. Sickeningly cocky, I know. And who knows, maybe by that time I will think its a total shit way to think and be Communisteppin in quad...but even if that is the case, I definitely think that a glimpse of something 'outside' of dominant ideology is totally liberating and healthy. As long as it doesn't involve scalping people or some sick shit like that. But dancing is fine. We shall dance our way to the revolution!!! haha. i need more sleep. clearly.
hey, this is un-theory related, but is it possible to get a copy of my group's performance?
is that legal?
Sure Jaime. The videos are on youtube and i have the links posted on an earlier blog. Unfortunately, the files are too large to send over e-mail and such.
Post a Comment